Hormones are one of the essential parts of our bodies that are known as chemical messengers. There are many types of hormones that are linked with different bodily functions and processes. The excessive or deficit amount of hormones affects the overall functioning of our body system.
Symptoms And Signs Of Hormonal Imbalance
Before understanding the reasons for fluctuating hormone levels, it is essential to know the secretion process. Primarily, hormones are secreted from the endocrine glands in the body. Since endocrine glands are ductless, hormones are directly secreted into the blood.
In case you are not aware, some of the major endocrine glands present in our body are Thyroid, Testes, Ovaries, Thymus, Pineal Gland, Pituitary Gland, and more.
Functions of Hormones
Hormones are secreted by endocrine glands for various body functions and processes. Some of the functions are:
- Cognitive body function and mood
- Maintenance of body temperature and thirst
- Metabolism of food items
- Development and Growth
- Reproductive growth and health
Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance
There are various cases where hormones are secreted in an unusual amount in our bodies. The sudden changes in hormones leave a severe impact on the normal functioning of our bodies. Since the overall health depends upon the proper secretion of hormones, some cases of hormonal imbalance leave individuals with various health problems. There are some signs that you must check to diagnose hormonal imbalance in your body. Some of the symptoms to look out for are:
- Weight Gain or Loss: If you start to gain or lose weight all of a sudden, you must take it as a warning sign and visit your doctor immediately. In most cases of hormonal imbalance, weight gain and loss are the common symptoms.
- Increased Sweating: If your body is not able to manage hormones in an effective way, you will start sweating more. Generally, individuals ignore sweating and take it as a normal body function. However, if you have started to sweat more, you must take consultation from the doctor
- Constipation: Constipation is another common sign of hormonal imbalance in the body. If you feel sudden bowel movements for a long period, you must take it as a warning sign and visit the doctor to check for hormonal imbalance.
- Increased Hunger and Thirst: Sometimes, the symptoms of hormonal imbalance are simple yet difficult to understand. A sudden change in food consumption and water levels is also linked with hormonal imbalance. If you have started to eat more recently without putting in any additional effort, you must visit your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
The signs and symptoms mentioned above are general, and they can cover any individual. However, there are some specific symptoms that occur in males, females, and children. The specific symptoms linked with hormonal imbalance in listed below:
- Darkening of skin
- Hair loss
- Excessive hair on the face
- Heavy or irregular periods cycles
- Vaginal atrophy
- Decrease in beard growth
- Loss of bone and muscle mass
- Hot flashes
- Lost focus and cognitive abilities
- Erectile dysfunction (ED)
- Excessive body hair
- A voice that does not happen
- Lack of muscle mass
Causes of Hormonal Imbalance
Now that we know the signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance, it is important to understand the causes of the same. The most common causes include:
- Injury or Trauma: If you have experienced sudden injury or mental trauma, it is one of the major causes of hormonal imbalance.
- Eating Disorders: If you have unhealthy and unusual eating disorders, hormonal imbalance creeps into your life.
- Cancer Treatments: Chemotherapy which is used for treating cancer, is also one of the causes of hormonal imbalance.
- Medications: All the medications have different medical combinations and effects. There are several cases where individuals suffer from hormonal imbalance because of certain medications
- Pituitary Tumours: The most dangerous cause of hormonal imbalance is pituitary tumours that affect the entire functioning of the body.
There are certain causes of hormonal imbalance that only females experience. The unique causes are:
- Excessive consumption of birth control pills
- Premature menopause
Diagnosis Of Hormonal Imbalance
There are no specific tests that are designed to diagnose hormonal imbalance. However, you can visit your doctor and go through a complete physical exam to diagnose the health problem in the early stage. It is advised that individuals experiencing the signs of hormonal imbalance must describe them to their doctors in the same manner and timeline. The list of supplements, medications, and other tablets must be shared with the doctor. Once you have shared your symptoms with the doctor, you will be advised for single or multiple diagnostic tests depending upon your symptom. The general diagnostic tests advised by doctors for hormonal imbalance are:
- Blood Test: Most hormonal imbalances can be detected through blood. With blood tests, doctors can know your cortisol, thyroid, estrogen, testosterone levels.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound can be advised by the doctor to get images of pituitary glands, ovaries, testicles, uterus and more.
- Home Testing Kits: There are several home testing kits that are available in the market for diagnosing hormonal imbalance.
Apart from general diagnostic, some additional tests that doctors advise for hormonal imbalance are:
- Sperm count test
- Thyroid scan
Treatment Options Of Hormonal Imbalance
If doctors diagnose the causes of hormonal imbalance, early treatment options can benefit individuals and enhance their quality of life. Some of the treatment options for hormonal imbalance are:
- Hormonal Birth Control: Hormonal birth control is used to regulate menstrual cycles. It also reduces the excessive acne and hair growth in females
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy: If you are suffering from hypothyroidism, thyroid hormone therapy can be beneficial in controlling hormonal imbalance.
- Anti-androgen medications: In case you are not aware, androgens are male sex hormones that are present in both men and women. The anti-androgen medications can be used to block the effects of androgen.
There are various natural remedies and supplements that are available for treating hormonal imbalance in both males and females. Hormonal imbalance can decrease the quality of life. It is essential to understand the early signs and symptoms for early diagnosis and recovery.